The Spurs will be a major player in the draft with four selections, tied for the most by any team including three first-rounders.
San Antonio was eliminated by the New Orleans Pelicans from the Play-In Tournament this season. The fact that they even made it to that stage given their 34-48 record should be enough to warrant this past season a success given how young the roster was as the franchise looks to rebuild for the future.
Dejounte Murray was the team's leading man and earned himself his first All-Star selection with his play, averaging 21.1 points, 9.2 assists and 8.3 rebounds per game.
Keldon Johnson also established himself as a name to watch moving forward and the Spurs have some nice building blocks with those two, but they will need to add some frontcourt depth to even out a somewhat unbalanced roster.
Armed with picks and a deep history of finding immense value later in the draft — Murray, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili come to mind — San Antonio has a golden opportunity to add to its promising roster in place.
Where does San Antonio land in the draft order? Here is everything you need to know ahead of the 2022 NBA Draft.
Spurs draft picks 2022: When does San Antonio pick?
The Spurs own four total picks in the 2022 NBA Draft after general manager R.C. Buford made a couple of deals at the trade deadline back in February.
San Antonio will have three first-round picks and one second-round selection. Incredibly, the Spurs are making just their sixth lottery selection in the history of their franchise.
Rumors are already floating around that the Spurs might not keep all four of their picks and are looking to consolidate and move up in the draft. We shall have to see how that plays out.
- Round 1, No. 9
- Round 1, No. 20 (via TOR)
- Round 1, No. 25 (via BOS)
- Round 2, No. 38 (via LAL)
The Spurs have traded Kennedy Chandler to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for a future second-round pick and cash, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.
Spurs 2022 NBA draft order
|1||Jeremy Sochan (Baylor)|
|1||Malaki Branham (Ohio State)|
|1||Blake Wesley (Notre Dame)|
|2||Kennedy Chandler (Tenessee)|
Spurs draft needs
- Frontcourt depth: Simply put, the Spurs have too many guards and wings (Dejounte Murray, Lonnie Walker IV, Devin Vassell, Joshua Primo and Keldon Johnson). Having a big man past Jakon Poeltl who can complement their current wing rotation won't go astray. Another thing to consider is that Poeltl is in the final year of his contract.
- Immediate talent: The Spurs have always done a shrewd job with finding diamonds in the rough later in the draft, but now they must find a player who can come in and impact the team immedialty. Having the ninth pick means they have a genuine shot at that. If they come somehow manage to package their other picks into a mid first-rounder, they might be able to get two guys who can come in straight away and contribute.
Spurs mock draft 2022
Here are the latest projected picks for the Spurs according to TSN's Kyle Irving:
- Round 1, No. 9: Jalen Duren, C, Memphis
- Round 1, No. 20: Jalen Williams, F, Santa Clara
- Round 1, No. 25: Nikola Jovic, F, Mega Basket (ABA), Serbia
- Round 2, No. 38: Peyton Watson, F, UCLA